Cavinti Church–a 4 century old Catholic church - ‪#‎CavEAT‬: Cavinti Eco-Adventure Tour part 8

IMG_5349

Our day 2 in Cavinti, Laguna started here in Cavinti, Church, I’m glad that the tour included a church visit because I have section here in my blog that is all about churches, a blog collection of old churches here in the Philippines. check - http://azraelsmerryland.blogspot.com/search/label/church

I learned that this church was founded in the year 1621, then it was damaged during the year of Chinese uprising here in Cavinti, Laguna. I didn’t know there’s a Chinese uprising in the old age of Laguna. I have to Google that later.

The church was rebuilt after it was damaged by strong typhoons and also earthquake in 1824 , and then the stone walls was destroyed again by another earthquake in 1937, but the town people rebuilt it again after a year and used the old stone walls as part of the restoration of the church. This church is now 3 century and 94 years old. (that’s’ nearly a 4 century old)

Cavinti Church is also called – The Transfiguration of our Lord Parish Church. The patron saint of this church is Jesus, because the church celebrate the patron saint feast every August 6, the transfiguration of Jesus.

Cavinti Church is located at heart of Cavinti town.

DSC_0201

A sign infront of the Cavinti Church to tell its age

DSC_0203

I can see the old stone walls around the body of Cavinti Church, the discoloration and black charcoal color shows the old age of the church. At first I thought it was a century old, but then it’s a nearly 4 century old church.

DSC_0204

History of the church is posted here at the 1938 plate. I’m glad that they preserved this plate.
Its important for every church to have a history plate in front of the gate.

DSC_0205

My view from below.

DSC_0208


DSC_0219

I spotted a statue of a soldier near the church.
I forgot to check it why they have a statue here. It could related to World War 2


DSC_0220

My view of Cavinti Church at the side.
We waited for the end of the mass, because we need to inform the priest and church staff that we will tour around the church and visit the belfry. Accdg to our guide, they closed the church every end of the mass.

DSC_0222

Schedule of mass and services here in Cavinti Church
just zoom in if you want to learn the church’s service.

DSC_0223

Statue of San Lorenzo Ruiz
Our first Filipino saint.

DSC_0224

I spotted a tiangee stores at the side of the church, I went there and bought this cheapo slip ons. I got tired of wearing my flip flops because mud and dirt always stick to my nails. I know we will have more adventures later and I want my foot be protected from the mud.

DSC_0229

The arch sign of the church.

DSC_0230

Our jeep ride parked near the arch sign

DSC_0231

Infront of the church, I spotted a sacred heart of Jesus statue.

DSC_0232

One of the most awesome structures near the church are the statues of the station of the cross of Jesus. The statues are well sculpted and I like the black charcoal color that matches the color of the old church. The statues were donated by Cavinti local, but now its damaged and poorly secured. Sayang!

DSC_0233

The statue of Jesus
DSC_0240

Jesus statue and a Roman soldier statue that fell from its metallic stand.


DSC_0244


Here’s a dramatic figure pose of a Jesus statue. I just added some drama.

DSC_0246

Roman soldier on stand by

DSC_0247

Our guide, Nina, introduces to us Mr. Ace Villamin, the music manager of Cavinti Church, he guided us around the church and also the one who shared tidbits of info about the history of the church

DSC_0249

Inside Cavinti Church.
The church was reconstructed back in the 1930’s and I’m surprised that there’s no art painting on the walls and ceiling.

DSC_0250

The altar of Cavinti Church

DSC_0251

They have two image of Jesus, the crucified version and the transfiguration version.

DSC_0257

Our way to the belfry of the church.

DSC_0258

I didn’t pay much attention during the tour ahhha. But my agenda here is to go to the belfry to see how special it is on top of the church.

DSC_0260

The dark staircase going to the 2nd floor of the church

DSC_0261

Café like table and chairs at the 2nd floor. It’s a chillax place for church goers and also church servants.
I can imagine that I drink coffee here hahhaha.

DSC_0263

My view from the choir area at the 2nd floor.

DSC_0266

Stained glass art looks modern. I forgot to ask about the age of this stained glass art.


DSC_0267

I’m not sure if they bought it somewhere or if they commissioned this from a stained glass artist.

DSC_0270

After climbing two metal ladder, we’re now on top of the belfry of the church.


DSC_0271

DSC_0273

Old church bell, they no longer use this because the wooden support is already broken.



DSC_0274

They use his one big bell that was donated by a family from Cavinti, the bell dated 1853

DSC_0275

Time stamp of the bell.

G0061368

There’s another ladder going to the most top of the belfry, but there’s nothing much to see there, I didn’t attempted to climb because I’m afraid to step on a wooden ladder.

Here’s our class pic at the belfry of Cavinti Church

G0071372

Me at the side of the church’s bell

G0081374

My view from the belfry window

G0091376

View under the 1839 church bell.
I didn’t know why I did this photo op hahahah

G0101379

By the window..

DSC_0277

I spotted the baptism room here in Cavinti Church, located at the right side of the church at the ground floor.

DSC_0278

At the altar..

DSC_0279

My view from the altar…
G0111386

Thanks guys for viewing my part 8, watch out for part 9 for more eco adventure here in Cavinti, Laguna


ABOUT CAVINTI ECO ADVENTUR TOUR
The #CavEAT: Cavinti Eco-Adventure Tour is a Tourism Advocacy Campaign to help generate online buzz for the upcoming Cavinti Water Sports Olympics: 1st International Competition happening on February 8-14, 2015.

2015 Cavinti Water Sports Olympics: 1st International Competition
watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWEVHpaEylU

The #CavEAT: Cavinti Eco-Adventure Tour is organized by Herald C. Bebis for the Municipality of Cavinti headed by Hon. Mayor Milbert Oliveros. The event is fully supported by the Cavinti Municipal Tourism Office, DigitalFilipino, Pelikula Padayon, Caliraya Lake Mountain Resort, Camarin Resort and Lago Fishing Village.

HOW TO GET THERE IN CAVINTI, LAGUNA
1. Ride Sta. Cruz, Laguna bound DLTB Bus in Buendia Terminal, located below Gil Puyat LRT
2. Bus fare to Sta. Cruz, Laguna is PHP 140 (air con bus)
3. Drop off at DLTB Sta. Cruz terminal
4. Ride a a tricycle or jeep going to Sta. Cruz Market
5. At the market, look for the jeepney that will take you to Cavinti, Laguna
6. If you will go straight to Caliraya Lake, ride the Lumban-Cavinti Jeep
7. If you will go straight to Cavinti town proper, then ride the Pagsanjan-Cavinti jeep (this jeep will take you to Bumbungan resort, and also the Cavinti Municipal Tourism Office)
8. If you will go back to Manila, just go back to Sta. Cruz bus terminals, DLTB bus last trip to Manila is around 7:45pm
9. Other option: You can also ride a Lucban jeep in Sta. Cruz, you can drop off at Cavinti junction and just ride a tricycle going to Bumbungan Eco Park or to town proper

TOUR ORGANIZERHerald C. Bebis
www.facebook.com/heraldbebis
09055174371